Frequently Asked Questions
Our most common inquiries about our services, lesson packages and process, and why we’re the #1 choice for driving instruction in Prince George.
What sets us apart from the other Driving Schools in Prince George?
- We have a long-standing established ICBC Approved GLP Program in Prince George, setting the benchmark for quality instruction.
- Our pass rate is phenomenal; check out our FB and website pages to prove it!
- We are the only driving school in PG to offer both male and female instructors.
- Because we have 4 instructors, we can offer the most flexibility in terms of in-car driving instruction.
- 4 instructors also have the benefit of combined and varied experiences to pass on to students
- We are positive instructors; open and honest concerning progress and practice, and easy to contact and communicate with as students develop.
- We are professional; yet make learning a fun and enjoyable process.
- We are efficient to book lessons with initially, and flexible if you need to change your appointments.
- We are easy to contact; either via phone or by email.
- Our vehicles are well maintained for students’ safety and comfort.
- We are community minded; donating to the Spirit of the North Healthcare Foundation and the P.A.R.T.Y Program, as well as the downtown HubSpace.
- We regularly request customer feedback to refine and improve our services.
- Our in-car processes and lesson plans are digitized, allowing us to send clients up to date feedback via email. (We do so by request only.)
- We have completed Defensive and Winter driving courses for many of the Provincial Ministries in PG, as well as numerous and varied Corporate clients.
Click the question below to expand the answer. If you are still unsure about something, please contact us and a member of our team will be happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have!
As a rule, a 4 Lesson Package is the absolute minimum we suggest to anyone who will be testing within the next 6-8 weeks (from the time of booking). There is a lot of material for us to teach and for students to understand and this allows us both to do so, with minimum stress.
If you have 40-60 hours of experience and will be testing shortly, we recommend a minimum of a 4-6 Lesson Package.
The minimum package we allow our vehicles to be used for ICBC testing purposes is a 6 Lesson Package.
If you have 25-40 hours of experience, consider an 8-10 Lesson Package.
If you have less than 25 hours experience or are a brand new driver, you should be considering a 14 or 18 Lesson Package or any of the GLP Program Packages. These packages are designed for drivers who are wanting the most comprehensive training. They are perfect for students who are also very nervous about driving or who do not have someone with whom they can regularly practice.
If you are a new Learner, have no one to practice with, and are very stressed about driving in general, consider a GLP Diamond Package.
When choosing any package of 6 Lessons or more, or the GLP Program Packages, the final 2 lessons are the warm-up prior to the test (1 hour) and the use of our vehicle for testing (1 hour).
(ex. Lesson 5 = Warm Up and Lesson 6 = ICBC Road Test)
If you wish, you can also take any Lesson Package and apply the last lesson to training only, and test in your own car. We will book the test for you and use the last lesson as the Warm Up, dropping you off at ICBC to test in your own car at the scheduled time.
To register for any of the above lesson packages please click here.
For more information about each of the lesson packages please click here.
- The most obvious benefit is that students who participate are acquiring lifelong skills to drive accident free.
- The GLP also offers the most comprehensive driving instruction, with emphasis on both in-class and in-car instruction.
- The length of the course also allows students to learn throughout a number of seasons – with the unique driving conditions of each.
- The GLP provides students with 2 grade 11 high school credits.
- Lastly, GLP students can reduce their Class 7N (Novice Stage) by 6 months by completing the GLP course. This is especially helpful to those students who will need a Class 5 license for future employment opportunities. In order to earn the reduction successfully, a student must drive prohibition and accident-free over the course of their Novice Stage.
- In the GLP most lessons are one hour in length.
- There are also two 1.5 hour lessons.
- On the day of a student’s ICBC Road Test the total lesson time, including the test, is 2.25 hours.
- If a student is taking a Custom Tailored Lesson Package, each lesson is one hour in length.
Class sizes range from 25-40 students
- PG Driving For Life Academy Ltd. schedules 3 Classroom Sessions per year.
- One Session is comprised of 3 consecutive dates scheduled over the course of a weekend
- Classroom Sessions take place on a Friday evening, followed by a full Saturday and Sunday for each Session.
- Classroom Sessions occur from 5:30pm-9:00pm on the Friday and 9:00 am – 4:30 pm on the Saturday and Sunday.
- Classroom Sessions are held at the Prince George Civic Center located at 808 Canada Games Way, beside the Prince George Public Library.
Both GLP students’ lessons and Custom Tailored Lesson Packages are booked immediately after signing up, according to the student’s availability. A Learner’s License must be obtained before any sessions, classroom or in-car, are booked.
PG Driving For Life Academy Ltd. has 5 vehicles used for in-car instruction.
- a silver 2010 Honda Fit
- a blue 2013 Honda Fit
- a blue 2009 VW City Golf
- a white 2016 VW Golf
- a silver Audi A4 Wagon (this vehicle acts as a back up)
The VW Golf and Honda Fit can easily accommodate varying sizes and heights, despite their small size. Shorter students who may require pedal extensions normally do not need them, and larger students can lower the seat right to the floor to fit into the vehicle. The vehicles are also equipped with telescopic steering to keep the student a safe distance from the airbag. If you are taller that 6’0, you likely will find the VW Golf better suited to you.
The instructor(s) will be charting students’ progress and discussing it with them as each lesson unfolds. We will be recommending practice routes and activities, and if need be, following up with Co-Drivers. We pride ourselves on being open and honest with students about their skill level and where they stand in relation to passing their ICBC Road Test. Following driving lessons, home practice is the single best way to prepare for the test. The more practice a student receives between lessons, the more prepared they will be – and the easier each lesson will become.
If we believe a student will not pass their ICBC Road Test, we will not provide a vehicle for testing. If a student wishes to test in their own vehicle, we are happy to finish the lessons and/or provide a warm-up, but there is an inherent risk in allowing a student to test who we believe is not ready. We are happy to discuss further options as lessons progress.
The ICBC Road Test consists of 5 separate segments: Intersection Left, Right and Through (3), General Driving and Vehicle Handling. The test is usually about 35-40 minutes in length. The information provided here is a basic guide only for what may be on the test:
The first 3 Intersection segments include how the student deals with all types of intersections and turns. For example, do they understand their right of way? When to do a shoulder check? How to properly scan and what to look for? Where to correctly stop and when to creep? What position should they keep their wheels when turning? Where their hands should be positioned? How to properly navigate a turn? Both small and large intersections will be included in the test.
General Driving consists of the driving that takes place between intersections. It essentially deals with speed, lane positioning, and lane changes.
Vehicle Handling consists of the maneuvers or parking on the ICBC Road Test. These can include any of the following: A Pre-Trip, leaving the parking stall and lot, an Uphill or Downhill Park or both, a Cul-de-Sac, 3 Point Turn, Parallel Park, Reverse Stall Park, Backing in a straight line, Opening the door, and Two Hazard Perceptions.
These are solely some of the main points of instruction that we cover when teaching students. There is a lot to learn, absorb and practice between lessons. We are teaching students to not only pass their ICBC Road Test but be safe, responsible drivers for all of their lives. We pride ourselves on teaching towards a lifelong ability to drive safely and accident-free; providing a fun and rewarding experience for all of our students. There are many people sharing today’s roads and we want our students to be among the best.
- The fee for taking the ICBC Class 7N Road Test is $35.00. After passing the ICBC Road Test, there is an additional cost of $75.00 for your 5-year license.
- If partaking in a Class 5 Road Test, the fee is $50.00 for the ICBC Road Test and either $17.00 or $75.00, depending on whether or not your license is going to expire within 6 months. THESE FEES ARE PAYABLE TO ICBC.
- If you have any late cancellation fee(s) associated with a missed Road Test, you must pay these prior to taking your test.
- You must have all fees at the time of testing. If you take the ICBC Road Test and cannot pay for your license, you may forfeit your test.
- If you have any outstanding fines or late cancellation fees due to ICBC, they must be paid prior to taking your ICBC Road Test. Knowledge of these fines or fees is the responsibility of the student.
If you are taking a 6 Lesson Package or more, and are choosing to test in our vehicle, we book your ICBC Road Test.
*Please note that ICBC Road Tests take place on weekdays only, and always during normal school or work hours.
You must read and agree to an ICBC Road Test Consent and Release form to allow us to book a test on your behalf.
If a student lives more than 15 minutes out of the bowl area of Prince George, we request that the student be picked up from and dropped off at a closer location. This is for the student’s benefit, as valuable time is needed in the city to properly teach and complete all of the PG Driving For Life Academy Ltd. curriculum. We want to be able to teach lessons in areas that would most benefit the student, especially on busier city streets and in downtown Prince George.
You have the option of choosing a male or female instructor. Please be aware that we will do our best to accommodate you, but choosing only one instructor may result in a longer duration of lessons due to instructor availability.
There are a few options, depending on your needs as a driver. We like to assess the situation by beginning with an evaluation lesson. This allows both the instructor and the student to understand whether more lessons are actually needed. If the evaluation lesson is sufficient, it will be the only lesson completed.
PG Driving For Life Academy Ltd. accepts credit cards, e-transfers, cheques, money orders or cash.
If paying by cheque or money order, GLP students are required to make all payments on the first lesson, including post-dated amounts. Receipts will be issued for all payments. If payment is an issue, a payment plan can be created. For most Custom Tailored Packages, full payment is due at the beginning of the first lesson. For Custom Packages of 6 or more lessons, a payment plan can be created. There is a $105.00 non-refundable deposit due after any lessons, classroom or in the car, are completed. There is a $30 fee for any payment plan.
The classroom sessions can be made up in the following months. However, any missed sessions MUST be completed BEFORE the student is allowed to take their road test. A student must complete the GLP and ICBC Road Test within one year (365 days) of beginning the classroom sessions. Failure to attend even one classroom session may mean delay or forfeiture of GLP completion.
If a student is late for an appointment, the instructor will wait for 15 minutes before leaving. We will try to contact you before moving to our next appointment.
If you need to cancel a road test or are unable to attend, 48 hours notice MUST be given. If 48 hours notice is not given, there is a $25.00 fee for each missed appointment PAYABLE TO ICBC. This is in accordance with ICBC regulations. If we have booked a Road Test for you, we must be given 72 hours notice to have time to cancel or rebook the Road Test. If you have booked your own test, you are responsible for canceling your own test.
If you currently have a Class 7N or Class 5 License, an Evaluation Lesson is a great tool to assess your habits prior to re-testing, or to assess your skills and find where improvement is needed.
If you currently have a Class 7L license, we suggest you take a minimum 4 Lesson Package prior to testing. Your time is better spent learning what you don’t know, rather than evaluating what you don’t know.
ICBC is located at 4001 15th Avenue.
Lessons are normally booked between the hours of 9:00 am and 6:45 pm, Monday to Friday, and 9:00am-4:00pm on Saturday. We are closed Sundays. If you or your child are only available for after school appointments, please be aware that these appointments are filled the fastest and often weeks in advance.
If you require a refund, it will be pro-rated against how much of the course has been completed, how many lessons have occurred, or been missed, minus an $87.00 deposit. The deposit fee is included in any package purchased.
Manual Transmission FAQs
This question has many answers. Some reasons include driving skill and driving pleasure, better fuel economy, better job prospects, cheaper maintenance and service life of a vehicle, being able to drive all cars, having more control of your car, and because it’s fun and you want to learn!
We teach manual in a Honda Fit, the same make and model as 3 of our automatic transmission vehicles. The controls are identical, with the addition of a clutch pedal and stick shift.
Most lessons will be one hour in length, although there are 2 hour and 90-minute lessons in the GLP Packages. These include the introductory lessons and a simulated road test.
We only provide an automatic vehicle for testing in Prince George. If you are completing any of the GLP or 14 or 18 Lesson packages in the manual transmission car your last 3 lessons, including the ICBC Road Test, will be in an automatic. This facilitates ease of testing, for both the student and for booking purposes.
This absolutely depends on your experience and expectations. If you are just learning to drive for the first time, it is easier to learn in an automatic. If you have previous experience driving a manual vehicle, including a motorcycle or farm vehicle, you may enjoy the process of learning to drive a manual as you learn to drive in the city. If you have minimal experience of any type of driving, you should learn to drive in an automatic, and take manual lessons after you feel comfortable navigating the rules of the road in an automatic. Some clients only have manual vehicles with which to practice, so taking manual lessons for them is key. You need to be clear and honest with yourself or your child about what your expectations are if starting the learning process from the beginning in a manual. It can be more challenging, but with that comes a rewarding experience.
Learning with a qualified Instructor has many benefits. We complete extensive training and are licensed trainers. We also benefit from years of experience, both driving and teaching a huge variety of drivers with diverse skill levels. We are patient and can guide even the most inexperienced drivers to the road of success. And, our vehicles are well marked when you inevitably stall at a light…
PG Driving For Life Academy Ltd. is committed to teaching students the skills necessary to drive safely, responsibly, and defensively in a comfortable and respectful environment.
I strongly feel that PG Driving for Life Academy provided me the knowledge, skill, and confidence to enable me to pass my driving test on my first attempt, which happened to occur on the snow-packed, icy December Prince George roads.
Both my son and daughter went through the 12-month program that Driving for Life offers. They enjoyed the instructor’s advice as well as their company. They both successfully passed their N test with ease on the first try, mostly due to the instructor’s professional knowledge and their confidence in my children. Both children also took the GLP program (an in-class program that teaches more road safety and other driving tips) that Chris and Bev also provide at PGD4L. This gave me peace of mind that my children would be very responsible as well as confident drivers; which they are. A bonus for them… the GLP Program got them 6 months off of their N! Driving for Life is an incredible program. Highly recommend any parents of new drivers or anyone that has any apprehension and wants to improve their driving skills to refer to PG Driving For Life Academy Ltd. Thanks PGD4L!
Chris and his team are fantastic. I took lessons from them prior to getting my Class 7N, and a refresher again before getting my Class 5. I was an extremely nervous ‘older’ driver the first time I worked with Chris, and his patience and guidance helped me achieve something I thought I’d never do – drive confidently! I cannot recommend Driving For Life enough and rave about them to everyone I know. Thanks for everything!
Supporting Our Community
“Giving is the Difference, that makes the Difference”
We created a Financial Award with UNBC!
The award is available for past and current PG Driving For Life Students who are enrolled in an undergraduate program at UNBC. One award of $500 will be given per UNBC Awards Competition based on the following eligibility:
Available to a full-time undergraduate student in satisfactory academic standing. Applicants must be past or present students of the PG Driving For Life Academy who have completed 6 or more lessons. If you’re interested and fit the criteria, please email D4L(at)shaw(dot)ca for a letter confirming your eligibility (it will need to be submitted with your application).
Share with your friends/family who go to UNBC so they can apply!
Check http://www.unbc.ca/financial-aid for updated information on when the award applications open!